Click the FS Button to view images in full screen (larger).
A Brief History of The Echuca Club
The Echuca Club was formed as a social organisation at a meeting on 5 May 1897. Leasing four rooms at Wilson’s Bridge Hotel in Murray Esplanade, the Club officially opened on 10 July 1897 without a liquor license; not granted until August that year.
In 1898 the Club leased the old Criterion Hotel building on the present Club site at 19 Murray Esplanade and purchased on 16 June 1900 by Michael Kickham, William Wilding and John Stokes as Trustees for The Echuca Club.
The original building was erected in 1853 – by Echuca’s founder – Henry Hopwood. It was licensed and known as the New Road Inn. By 1865 it was referred to as Hopwood’s Old House and by 1872 it was known as the Criterion Hotel . In 1892 the building was demolished and replaced by a more substantial structure. The Hotel was de-licensed in 1897 about the same time The Echuca Club was established at the Bridge Hotel. In 1902, apart from the card room and bar, the building was demolished and the existing building completed in 1903.